Funding your prototypes: Call for Applications
The Innovation Network is funding innovative product-oriented student projects in a joint activity with the Product Development Group Zurich (pd|z) and the ETH Student Project House.
What you can get?
- Up to 5’000 CHF funding for prototype development from the Innovation Network.ch
- Coaching and access to makerspace & co-working space at the Student Project House
Who can apply for funding?
- ETH students who are passionate to push their own project and realize their own ideas
- BSc and MSc students from all disciplines at ETH (preferably as a team of two people min.)
- Early stage and product-based ideas with a hardware component (no pure software, app or service projects)
- Short or medium term market perspective (no long term research projects)
- Funding for a proof of concept or feasibility study
How does the application process work?
- You may apply at any time
- Please prepare project description based on the attached application guideline and be ready for a 4 min pitch.
- Use the contact form on this site to get in touch with Moritz Mussgnug of the Student Project House
- The Innovation Network.ch and the Student Project House will review your application and decide if the project is funded
- You will receive feedback within 2 months
- You can already start working at the Student Project house, even before the funding decision has been made.
What if my project is funded?
- The Student Project House will be your new home
- You can use the makerspace and get help from maker experts
- You get regular coaching sessions supporting you in project management and product development
- You can use the co-working space to work on your project
- The funding is administrated by the Student Project House. The core purpose of the funding is to enable you to build prototypes. Process:
- You pay the costs by yourself
- You hand in the bills
- The Student Project House reimburses your prototyping costs
- You will present your prototypes and your new insights in front of members from the Innovation Network.ch and the Student Project House at a fixed date
Please hand in a pragmatic project description of max. three pages (pdf). Additionally, you have the option to hand in a short video of your project (max. 2 min).
Please use the following structure to describe your project:
- Short abstract: 3-5 sentences
- What problem do you want to solve?
- Why is this a relevant problem?
- How do you plan to solve the problem?
- Introduce your team
- Problem Statement:
- Who is the potential user of your idea?
- What is his/her need(s)?
- Why is it relevant/important to solve this need?
- How do you want to solve the problem? What is your idea?
- What makes your idea exiting/special?
- Are there other solutions addressing the same need resp. (direct/indirect) competitors. What differentiates your idea from their solution?
- How much money do you need and how would you spend it?
- Rough timeline including:
- An overview: when are you planning to achieve what?
- A short statement: how you would arrange your work in the project (also considering your lectures, exams, holidays, exchange semester and so on)
Download PDF here
If you have any questions regarding the funding or the application process, please contact Moritz of the Student Project House.
Wish to apply? Go to https://sph.ethz.ch/projects/funding/innovation-network-grant/ and click "Apply now" to get to the application form.
Any questions regarding this page?